Ang Bayan
February 07, 2019

NPA-NEMR mounts 6 counter-attacks

Share and help us bring this article to more readers.

The New People’s Army (NPA) in Northeast Mindanao frustrated the fascist troops of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) which have been on a 25-day rampage in Agusan del Sur and Surigao del Sur. The said operation was the AFP’s reaction to two successful tactical offensives of the NPA in the last quarter of 2018. The relentless military operations were accompanied by aerial bombing and strafing by the Philippine Air Force.

According to Ka Maria Malaya, spokesperson of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP)-Northeast Mindanao Region, the NPA mounted six counter attacks against 4th ID troops operating in the communities since the last week of December 2018 up to mid-January. Three of the these counterattacks were most notable:

On December 23, the NPA set off explosives against 26th IB troopers operating in Sumulon, Barangay Padiay, Sibagat, Agusan del Sur. On January 5, the 3rd Special Forces Battalion (SFB) was harassed in the mountains of San Juan, Bayugan in the same province.

On January 7, Red fighters also blasted operating troops of the 36th IB in the mountains of Manhulayan, Barangay Bolhoon, San Miguel, Surigao del Sur.

These AFP operations demonstrate the AFP officers and the Duterte government’s disregard for the safety of their 15 troopers (two soldiers of the 3rd SFB and 13 CAA men) currently being held as prisoners of war (POW) by the NPA, according to Ka Maria. Their release is being delayed by the said operations.

The POWs were captured on December 19 in an NPA raid on the CAA detachment in Barangay New Tubigon, Sibagat, Agusan del Sur. The NPA seized 23 firearms in that raid, including an M60 light machinegun.

Meanwhile, in the Southern Mindanao Region, NPA-Mount Apo Subregional Operations Command spokesperson Isabel Santiago reported a Philippine National Police (PNP) official and 11 others were wounded in an NPA demolition operation last January 28 in Purok 4, Sitio Kabisig, Barangay Poblacion, Magpet in North Cotabato. The casualties were all troopers of the PNP Provincial Mobile Company. Killed in this tactical offensive was PO3 Christopher Anadon.

On the previous day, an NPA unit frustrated attacking forces of the 19th IB and the Bagani paramilitary group in Sitio Salingsing, Barangay Amabel, Magpet. On the other hand, Red fighter Ronnie Awe (Ka Dindo), 44, was killed, while his son Ka Wingwing suffered grave injuries.

Both incidents belie military claims that the revolutionary forces have waned in the said area, said Santiago.

Meanwhile, in Negros island, two soldiers were killed in separate NPA offensives.
Two troopers of the 94th IB were killed in sniping operations by NPA-Negros against soldiers stationed in their camp in Barangay Trinidad, Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental last January 29 at 2 p.m. Residents celebrated the said offensive against the 94th IB which have been conducting “peace and development” operations in the said barangay.

The 94th IB is responsible for the killing and illegal arrest of peasants last December 27, 2018, and for the illegal search of homes in at least six sitios in the said barangay. This caused fear among hundreds of residents, forcing them to flee their homes.

A 15th IB soldier was killed while another was wounded when they encountered an NPA-Negros unit in Sitio Pacama, Barangay Magballo, Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental last January 18.

In Quezon, the NPA-Quezon incapacitated the destructive equipment of the Pacific Summit Construction Group, Inc. in Sitio Pandarawan, Barangay Maragondon, Real, Quezon last January 21. Among those equipment were three dump trucks, two backhoes, a generator set, transit mixer and loader.

The operations of this company is destructive to the environment. Its construction of a hydroelectric plant has caused the displacement and loss of income of hundreds of residents.

AB (2019-02-07): NPA-NEMR mounts 6 counter-attacks